Sunday, June 15, 2008

I miss my Dad - John Newman Jr


I woke up thinking of my old Dad today. He died 2+ years ago, just short of his 89th birthday.  He worked hard & was a good dad! He left college after his father died to help raise his younger sister & brother, served in the Navy in WWII, then he & Mom raised 6 kids. All of us were teens in the 60s & 70s - I can only begin to imagine how difficult that must have been for parents everywhere (even if it was wild & fun for us!).

He enjoyed his long retirement in Florida, living & traveling in his beloved Airstream. He was a quiet, sensitive man who loved baseball & dogs & reading & his girls, but mostly Mom - they celebrated their 63rd anniversary shortly before he died in 2005.

He told me once he wanted to live long enough to see the century change over to 2000! Rest in Peace, Dad & Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

  1. Jill, Believe it or not, I miss him too!!!! He was sure looking healthy and happy in this photo...so glad you posted it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was googling "John Newman" trying to find my boyfriends father. Little information was given from his mother, but definately Newman was the last name. Any chance of anyone in your family that crabbed during the summer of 1968? Please respond: naomiweitzel@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete