Saturday, June 14, 2008

Wildlife Report #1

Yesterday, I was on my way down College Rd, a local 4 lane artery & caught a stoplight at the head of the outside lane. There was traffic facing me, waiting for the light, but no one next to me. Then I noticed, crossing the intersection, a mother duck & a huge cluster of ducklings following close behind! The light changed, but we all sat there - mesmerized by the sweet little group about to cross the center line. Suddenly, a truck whooshed by me into the intersection, the driver didn't see what was going on, but the mama duck did! She veered out of the way, and all the ducklings followed her exact movements. The truck streamed away & the intrepid mama veered again & continued with her brood all the way across the intersection to the curb. She jumped right up, but the little ones hesitated for a split second before they figured it out, then POP, POP POP POP, POPPOPPOPPOPPOP!!!, until all TEN ducklings were up & then quickly disappeared into the undergrowth. I think we all breathed a big sigh of relief! A true "Make Way for Ducklings" moment! And, just totally adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment